I am slowly but surely moving away from a PC to a MAC for all my computer use. At the moment I am using a desktop PC and a MacBook Air as my laptop. Eventually I want to replace my desktop PC with an iMac. One thing that has been holding me back is that the range of genealogy software available on a Mac is limited. I have previously covered running Family Historian, my tree programme of choice, on a Mac here. I have now managed to get more of my genealogical software running on the Mac again under Crossover from Codeweavers.
This is a very useful free transcription tool available from Jacob Boerema on his website. The current version at the time of writing this post is 184.108.40.206. This was a very easy bottle to build I just select unsupported application and a Windows 7 bottle and it created and ran perfectly with the tests I have conducted so far.
This is another very good free transcription tool from Les Hardy. The advantage of this software is that it has predefined templates for certain source documents. It is available from Les’s website. The version at this time of writing that I used was 2.3.4-1. Les already offers Windows and Linux versions of his software but at present no native OSX version. First off I tried the Windows mobile version but this would not create a working bottle. I then tried to install the full Windows version and this installed with no issues. I just select unsupported application and a Windows 7 bottle and it created and ran perfectly with the tests I have conducted so far.
This utility programme is again free and is available from the Gedmagic website. This utility takes a standard Gedcom file and converts it into Excel, Access, CSV or text format. It is a fairly old programme but it still works fine under Windows 7 (I haven’t tested it on Windows 8). The version at the time of writing is 1.2. I just select unsupported application and a Windows 7 bottle and it created perfectly. I have found one issue with the tests I have conducted so far and that is that creation of an Excel file causes an ActiveX error. I am sure that this can be resolved and I will, as time allows, work on adding the necessary ActiveX control to the bottle. It created CSV and TXT files which open and display the data perfectly. It creates an MDB file too but I don’t have a programme on my Mac to see whether this is a valid database. The lack of the dedicated Excel format is not that much of an issue as the CSV can be readily imported into an Excel spreadsheet.